A Travellerspoint blog

The Return

Munich and home

sunny 78 °F

Tuesday, Aug. 2: We left Innsbruck for Munich. Because we had experienced a fair share of rain on our trip, and because we knew that there would be several weeks of fierce heat waiting for us in Arizona, we decided to take advantage of the sunny 78-degree weather and check out Munich's Englischer Garten (English Garden). Going there was a good idea: walking there from the Marienplatz (in the center of the city) was not. We were pretty tired by the time we reached the closest entrance to the garden. Still, we managed to enjoy the park.
Eventually--the English Garden is huge, bigger than Central Park--we made our way to one of the beer gardens there (I think there are 4 total on the grounds) to enjoy a last round of beer and pretzels. The brewery serving there rotates periodically, and we found out it was the same place that we visited on the first night of our trip. We were coming around full circle!
Chinese tower near the beer garden

Wednesday, Aug. 3: We woke up early to give ourselves plenty of time to drop off the car and check in at the airport. We learned that central Munich has some maddening morning rush hour traffic. Fortunately, the drop-off point for the car was just a 2-minute walk from the airport. After getting everything out of the car and completing some brief paperwork, we said "so long" to our vehicle (it's expected to be ready for pick-up on the West Coast in about 8 weeks).
Our odometer--642 miles travelled!
What tended up taking longer than we expected was getting to our gate at the airport. After checking in at the airline counter, we also went through EU passport control, security, and then another checkpoint being run by Lufthansa (not even our airline, though most flights out of that terminal were theirs) where we showed passports and answered security questions. Even with all the checkpoints, we made it to the gate with time for my daughter to run around and watch planes from the window.

Our flights went well. None of us slept on the first leg, but we slept through most of the flight from Philadelphia to Phoenix: we were all exhausted by that point! Getting through customs and immigration in Philly took just over an hour, so we were glad to have chosen the 5-hour layover over the 2-hour layover. Even though we were tired, we still had plenty of time to hit the play area and eat dinner.

Thanks for reading! In my next few posts, I will review the hotels where we stayed and some of the places where we ate.

Posted by amikulski 16:27 Archived in Germany Tagged children parks airport cars europe

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.